The RegioStars are presented every year by the European Commission. Each program can submit one application in each category.
There are five award categories for 2013:
- SMART GROWTH: Connecting universities to regional growth
- SUSTAINABLE GROWTH: Supporting resource efficiency in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- INCLUSIVE GROWTH: Social Innovation: creative responses to the challenges in society
- CITYSTAR CATEGORY: Integrated approaches to sustainable urban development
- INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION CATEGORY: Promoting EU Regional policy using short videos.
Applications may be sent by no later than 20 April 2012. The selected finalists will showcase their projects before an independent jury during the tenth annual European Week of Regions and Cities - OPEN DAYS 2012. The award ceremony will take place in Brussels in February 2013.